sugar or salt
green split peas
stick of coloured chalk
variety of flower, leaves and sticks
anything else that seems suitable
- pour water into bowl
- mix in a spoonful of sugar or salt, stir to see the crystals dissolve
- mix in some flour, sand, split peas. Notice which things sink and what happens to the colour of the water.
- grind up a stick of chalk in the mortar and pestle. Add to the soup to give a nice colour.
- Collect and add flowers, leaves and sticks to make the soup visually interesting and nice smelling.
- spoon into small bowls ready to serve to garden fairies.
- develops fine motor skills through pouring, spooning and grinding
- demonstrates concepts of floating and sinking
- demonstrates that different substances behave differently when mixed with water