Australia Day is coming up this week on 26 January. A day for Australians to celebrate who we are and the amazing country that we live in.
Give me a home among the gum trees
With lots of plum trees, a sheep or two, a kangaroo
A clothesline out the back, verandah out the front
And an old rocking chair.
We’re planning a trip to a local festival this Australia Day to watch cricket, throw thongs and have a meat pie. If you’d like to have some Australia day fun here is a handful of Aussie things to do this Australia Day …
- make some typically Aussie tucker – try lamingtons, pavlova or a vegemite sandwich.
- have a game of backyard cricket or watch others playing at Cricket Australia
- check out some children’s books by Aussie authors. Playing by the book has a post with some Australian book suggestions or check out my Aussie book safari.
- Take a quiz to test your knowledge about Australia – how about Things that’ll kill you in Australia, or test your understanding of Australian slang or go on an Australian treasure hunt.
- Listen to or learn some Australian folk songs. The lyrics at the top of this post are from Home Among the Gum Trees, which is our family song (because when my eldest son was born that was the only song my husband knew all the words to, so it got sung a lot). But some other popular ones (very nostalgic – sigh!) are Waltzing Matilda, I Still Call Australia Home or Drover’s Dream. There are many more. What are your favourite’s? Perhaps you’d like to share in the comments.
What are you doing this Australia Day? What represents Australia to you?