- Connect 4 with a bit of “are you sure?” from mum or dad when necessary. This is also a favourite posting game for my toddler.
- Hullabaloo a fun, active game. A speaker gives instructions and you run around looking for game pads of the right colour or shape to stand on, dance on, put your nose on or whatever you are asked to do. I find this a great game for practising graceful winning and losing. The winner does a little dance or takes a bow (which fits in with the mood of the game) and then onto the next round. There is no time to be upset that your weren’t the winner.
- roll the dice and move around games like Snakes and Ladders or Trouble. Terrific for practising counting.
- Hungry Hungry Hippos I can’t see any educational value in this game it is just fun and gets you laughing – it is a wonderful mood-changer when the going gets rough.
- Dominoes I like this one because we can play co-operatively and try to use all the dominoes.
May 15, 2010
a handful of board games for preschoolers
These are the favourite board games at my house at the moment …