My friend Zoe inspired me with this idea of Christmas play and experiences based around the five senses. I have kept the list to things to do in your home.
- Play I Spy on the Christmas tree (for example, can you find the reindeer, a gold bauble and so on)
- at dinnertime, light up your house with candles and Christmas lights
- listen to and sing Christmas carols
- dance and play along to carols such as Jingle Bells and the Little Drummer Boy with bells and drums
- play Can you find me? with bells. One person takes bells with them and hides. The other person finds them by listening for the sound of the bells.
- collect different bells and ring them
(characteristic Christmas smells might include cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, ginger, peppermint)
- collect different spices and smell them
- make scented playdough
- make a clove-studded orange (couldn't think of the name when I wrote this, but, oh yeah, a pomander) to hang on the Christmas tree
- bake with Christmas spices
- taste test traditional Christmas foods like gingerbread, fruit mince tarts, plum pudding, fruit cake, candy canes and so on
- reach into a mystery bag of Christmas-related items and try to guess what is in the bag. Things you could put in the bag – ornaments, tinsel, a bell, a branch of pine, a pinecone