Parenting is important and I don’t begrudge a moment spent connecting with my children. But it is important for me that I continue learning and pursue the interests that I enjoy most. So, in 2012, I intend to not only try and inspire my children through informal education but also pursue my own passions and interests with greater fervour. This will give my children a model for lifelong learning and life balance.
Here are some of the ways I hope to be learning and pursuing my interests in 2012 …
- reading books. Since I have bought a Kindle, I’m already doing a lot more reading, and reading a wider variety of books, because I do not have to find time to go to the bookshop (which is not close to home) or wait for books to come in the mail.
- making a ‘wish’’ list of things I’d love to do (I’ll share it in an upcoming post - here it is).
- make time to keep up with the news.
- teach something to others.
- start a big project. I have not decided what this will be yet. Large projects like Project Life, 365 photos, creating a piece of furniture from scratch would fit the bill for this one. I’ve always wanted to create a piece of furniture from scratch
- be whimsical with my free time. I am going to try and just do some projects I find interesting, without worrying too much about what I will do with them later or how the project is important.
- try something new every day. Actually, this one is not too hard for me because my boys and my husband have very different interests to me and are always challenging me to do or find out about new things.
Perhaps you would like to create your own lifelong learning project. If you do leave a comment and let me know.
What are you learning? What do you love to do with your free time?